iFolios is a new WordPress Theme designed specifically for Photographers. Even with that, it could be used for any type of service like a graphic or logo designer. The theme is simple and comes in two styles. Light or Dark. You must choose which style you want when purchasing.
Currently the Theme is at a generous price of $49 but will soon be going back up to $79.
So here are my thoughts on iFolios. The simplicity is amazing. It doesn’t get any easier. Install it like a template and add pages and photos. If you follow the supplied PDF instructions you can’t go wrong.
iFolios must be in a subfolder or subdomain with its own WordPress installation. This is my big complaint on iFolios. Being that it is a theme that is the only way for it to work right really.
- PHP: Downside is getting the forwarding to work. You could follow the instructions that iFolios proves however that means messing with the WordPress files themselves. While it’s not such a bad thing to do as long as you back up your files, once WordPress gets upgraded that customization is gone and must be redone.
- .htaccess: You could also forward mobile devices to your iFolios page however messing with .htaccess is not always the smartest idea for a novice.
- W3 Total Cache: This plugin allows for mobile browser forwarding. If you’re already using W3 Total Cache then your forwarding problem can be solved just by a quick setting change.
- Thesis Theme: The new Thesis 1.7 has forwarding built right in so you could create a page titled Mobile and have it forward but that means the reader must click the page.
- WP Touch: I believe this is the most popular Mobile plugin for WordPress. They have themes and many features built right in. You could also use this plugin to automatically detect a mobile browser and forward to a specific WordPress page. Using this in conjunction with Thesis would automate the forwarding to your iFolios page.
What I would like to see
- Make it a plugin or make a plugin that just detects and forwards but with an option to view the standard website and stay on it without forwarding again
- Partner with WP Touch and make the theme work with their plugin so I not only get the simplicity but my Blog could show on the site as well.
Remember that because this is a Theme is customizable so even if you buy the Light version you can change settings with CSS. Great job iFolios. I really think it’s an awesome theme for mobile browsers and I see it only growing. Until there is a smoother way of switching back and forth between Mobile and Standard, and the integration of my Blog I will be sticking with WP Touch for the mobile version of my website. However I will be keeping the iFolios version live for everyone to see.
I added some things to the basic iFolios theme including a contact form instead of just displaying my email address, and the Fancybox WordPress plugin for enlarging the thumbnails.
Thanks for reading and happy shooting,