Before you read this guest article, I want to mention that it is not essential to earn a degree in photography to become a professional photographer. In fact, some of the best never attended college at all. There are many ways to learn photography, as I have written in my eBook, Absorbing Light and this is just one of them. I also want to mention, that I do have an associates degree in photography and was extremely happy with the experience and knowledge I gained from it.
Are you considering a degree in the field of Photography? Well, earning a degree in this area will surely give you an edge over the rest. The training, skills, and experience you acquire as well as the connections you gain will really help you boost your career later on.
So what can you gain by getting a Photography Degree? Here are five benefits:
- Create an impressive portfolio. One of the benefits of a degree in Photography is that you will be able to create an impressive portfolio which you can use when you look for a job after you graduate. The Photography school provides you the opportunity to use the latest technology from computers to modern studio equipment. You can take advantage of these equipment and resources so you can produce high quality photos for your portfolio.
- Use state of the art equipment. Photography schools are equipped with state of the art facilities and resources – from the updated workbooks and videos to the latest studio equipment and facilities. You will be able to access these resources in school and you will be taught how to operate them. The skill you acquire from your exposure to updated facilities will definitely benefit you.
- Get professional feedback. Since you are enrolled in a reputable Photography school, you will have professional photographers as your mentors. They will be able to assess your work and give feedback. You should take their comments constructively because you can use that to make your photos even better. Professional training will further improve your skills too when it comes to Photography.
- Become a well-rounded individual. Compared to short courses on Basic Photography, getting a degree will provide you with a more in-depth training. Aside from the basics, you will be exposed to various types of Photography – from architectural to Photojournalism. When you get to learn about the different Photography types, you gain a more holistic perspective.
- Get job placement. Finally, when you earn a degree in Photography, you will have better access to job placements. For instance, college campuses offering a degree in Photography would have a career service department. You can visit the said department so you will be trained how to prepare for a job – from making your resume and portfolio to finding employment opportunities and preparing for interviews. Aside from job placements, you will also have the chance to serve as interns in reputable companies as part of your training in school.
These are just some of the benefits of a Photography degree. So if you think you have the potential to be a really good photographer, then enrol in a Photography school and fulfil your dream.
Lauren is a writer at Online Degree Help.
Comment Policy: Your words are your own, so be nice and helpful if you can. Please, only use your real name and limit the amount of links submitted in your comment. Critiques and conversations are encouraged, however negativity will not be tolerated.