If you haven’t heard yet, Facebook has released version one of it’s new WordPress integration plugin.
Jonathan Bailey at BloggingPro asks, Is Facebook integration really worth it?
I will start by telling you that I am 100% against using this plugin.
Well, Facebook is in our lives and will be for a very long time.
I use Facebook for connecting and communicating with old friends. I also use it to market my photography and for Photocrati and its products and websites. Facebook has slowly integrated itself with our every day lives, whether it’s the new iPhone integration (in iOS6), Bing integration or the useful (in my opinion) Facebook credits that you can purchase in grocery stores.
Now Facebook wants you to use their plugin to add every possible Facebook function that they offer, to your WordPress driven website.
Even if you are not a technical person, there are other plugins that can help you achieve similar results.
The Facebook WordPress Plugin for Photographers
For the average photographer, many of the features are useless. However, if you run a magazine style website and need every possible social capability, then the plugin could be right for you.
For instance, if all you want is the Like button with your pages or posts, then use DiggDigg. It’s a fantastic plugin that also gives you the ability to add other social sharing buttons to your website. But don’t go overboard with clutter!
Now, I’m going to go through some of the other features in the plugin and you tell me if you would use them and why you would. Please – change my mind…
- Post to an Author’s Facebook Timeline whenever they publish a new WordPress Post or Page. (useful, but can be done without the plugin by using Buffer)
- Mention friends and Facebook Pages. This posts to their Timelines as well as lists them on the WordPress Post or Page. (useless in my opinion – would likely appear to page owners as spam)
- Post all new WordPress Post or Pages to a specified Facebook Page. (useful, but Buffer is better)
- Like, send, and subscribe buttons can be enabled in a click and are fully customizable. (useless – use DiggDigg or other plugins that provide more social buttons)
- Facebook Comments, including full SEO support. (useless – there are already so many WordPress commenting systems, but it comes down to the default one being the best – not to mention the excess Facebook comment spam that gets by)
- Open Graph Protocol integration. (Can be done with the WordPress SEO Plugin, which should be installed on your site anyway)
- Recommendations bar, which allows users to click to start getting recommendations, Like content, and add what they’re reading to Timeline as they go. (useless in my opinion)
- Activity Feed Box. This shows the Facebook user the activity that their friends are doing on your website. (useless – just log into Facebook if you want to see friend activity)
- Recommendations Box. This shows the Facebook user recommendations of pages they should visit based on the actions their friends are taking on your website. (useless for visitors, more useful for website owners – should be an admin feature if anything)
- Facebook Insights integration included. This plugin also supports internationalization and mobile. (useless, also done with the WordPress SEO Plugin)
Now let me ask you this… Do you really want Facebook advertising all over your website? Do you really need all the Facebook garbage everywhere? Is simplicity not enough?
Are you using the new Facebook plugin for WordPress? Comment below and tell me why and how you’re using.
Thanks for reading,
For more Facebook articles and advice, check out:
- Facebook Fill In The Blank For Engagement
- Photographer Facebook Timeline Activity Alerts
- Photographer Facebook Insights
- Photographer Facebook Timeline Features
- Photographer’s Facebook Page Timeline
- Photographer Facebook Tips
Comment Policy: Your words are your own, so be nice and helpful if you can. Please, only use your real name and limit the amount of links submitted in your comment. Critiques and conversations are encouraged, however negativity will not be tolerated.