iFolios is a new WordPress Theme designed specifically for Photographers. Even with that, it could be used for any type of service like a graphic or logo designer. The theme is simple and comes in two styles. Light or Dark. You must choose which style you want when purchasing.
Currently the Theme is at a generous price of $49 but will soon be going back up to $79.
So here are my thoughts on iFolios. The simplicity is amazing. It doesn’t get any easier. Install it like a template and add pages and photos. If you follow the supplied PDF instructions you can’t go wrong.
- PHP: Downside is getting the forwarding to work. You could follow the instructions that iFolios proves however that means messing with the WordPress files themselves. While it’s not such a bad thing to do as long as you back up your files, once WordPress gets upgraded that customization is gone and must be redone.
- .htaccess: You could also forward mobile devices to your iFolios page however messing with .htaccess is not always the smartest idea for a novice.
- W3 Total Cache: This plugin allows for mobile browser forwarding. If you’re already using W3 Total Cache then your forwarding problem can be solved just by a quick setting change.
- Thesis Theme: The new Thesis 1.7 has forwarding built right in so you could create a page titled Mobile and have it forward but that means the reader must click the page.
- WP Touch: I believe this is the most popular Mobile plugin for WordPress. They have themes and many features built right in. You could also use this plugin to automatically detect a mobile browser and forward to a specific WordPress page. Using this in conjunction with Thesis would automate the forwarding to your iFolios page.
What I would like to see
- Make it a plugin or make a plugin that just detects and forwards but with an option to view the standard website and stay on it without forwarding again
- Partner with WP Touch and make the theme work with their plugin so I not only get the simplicity but my Blog could show on the site as well.
Remember that because this is a Theme is customizable so even if you buy the Light version you can change settings with CSS. Great job iFolios. I really think it’s an awesome theme for mobile browsers and I see it only growing. Until there is a smoother way of switching back and forth between Mobile and Standard, and the integration of my Blog I will be sticking with WP Touch for the mobile version of my website. However I will be keeping the iFolios version live for everyone to see.
I added some things to the basic iFolios theme including a contact form instead of just displaying my email address, and the Fancybox WordPress plugin for enlarging the thumbnails.
Thanks for reading and happy shooting,
You might also be interested in:
Comment Policy: Your words are your own, so be nice and helpful if you can. Please, only use your real name and limit the amount of links submitted in your comment. Critiques and conversations are encouraged, however negativity will not be tolerated.